Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Letter to Chloe


My dear little panda bear,

Today is our last day in China. Tomorrow morning we board a plane and head to your new home where your sister, grandpa, and great-grandma are all anxiously waiting to meet you.

These last ten days we’ve spent with you in China have been amazing. You are by far one of the happiest babies in the group. You have a beautiful smile that you share with anyone who will take the time to greet you. You have one of those smiles that encompass your entire face and even your eyes light up with joy. This morning we were playing copycat and you blew me your first kiss from across the breakfast table. I will always remember that moment.

I will also always remember our goofy “conversations”. You like to say “ah da” and if I repeat it back to you we can go on and on for minutes with some very intellectual and stimulating conversations.

Chloe, I can’t properly put into words how grateful I am and just how lucky I feel to have you in my life. I know it sounds trite to say that I loved you from the moment I saw your picture, but it is so very true. How could I not? You are loved beyond measure by us and I hope you sense that.

I want you to know that your birth mother also loved you. While we do not know who she is, we can tell you were very loved by where she took you so you would be safe. Your birth mother also placed a red thread around your neck to wish you special luck and good fortunes. China is a very complex place and she was not able to keep you, but she made a decision that would keep you safe and would allow you to find us, your forever family.

I promise to love you and keep you safe. I promise to be there to tuck you into bed each night and to read you your bedtime stories. I promise to always support you and to be on the sidelines cheering you on with whatever you do. I promise to be overly protective, to annoy you sometimes and to probably embarrass you in front of your friends at least once or twice. I promise to bring you and your jie jie (older sister) back to China when you are older so we can all experience this fascinating place together as a forever family.

Forever, with love, your ma ma

"An invisible red thread connects those destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break." - Ancient Chinese Proverb

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon:

You are glowing! Both of you girls are really beautiful. It's so wonderful to see a picture of you two together like that. Have a safe journey back and come see us if you can.

Patsy

Anonymous said...

I am crying as I write this. I LOVE the picture of you and Chloe together...finally... mother and daughter. I am so proud of you. You have expressed your heart to your new daughter so well. I can't wait to meet her someday. I only wish my trip to Seattle would have been after she arrived, not before. Oh well. I was able to see the anticipation up close and personal in the eyes and hearts of Chloe's mom and dad. That was priceless. I let David know about your baby and I am meeting his daughters for lunch today. Much love to you all as you head home to celebrate with your dad, great grandparent and of course... big sister! Can't wait to see the picture of Skylar and Chloe together. Need a new pic for the frig...just a hint! Love, Cyndi

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see a picture of you and Chloe together. It is a keeper! Have a safe trip home and see you soon. Big Hugs, jude